Monday, August 2, 2010

Days 16-19

Thursday was pretty uneventful. I had one class, US Imperialism. Then I came back to the House and did some readings after lunch. After dinner a group of us went to happy hour at a bar in Newtown, Kuleto's, where they have 2-for-1 cocktails that are quite yummy. Then we came back to the House and played a billiard game called Snooker that was really long and kinda complicated. Then some ping pong. Then we watched a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother.

Friday, I woke up feeling quite sick with a nasty head cold. Luckily, I didn't have any classes, so I went to the Chemist (its what they call a pharmacy here) and got some cold meds and came back to my room to ready for class all day. Well, I would read an article, then take a quick nap, then read another article, then take another nap. That night, one of my friends hosted a party at the House. I didn't drink any, since I'm sick, I figured alcohol wouldn't help me get better. Everyone else there drank a good bit, they were all pretty funny for the most part. It was very interesting being the only sober one there, but it wasn't terrible. When everyone was leaving to go out to a club around midnight, I just went back to my room and went to sleep.

Saturday, I skyped the family for a bit in the morning after I woke up. A few of us went to the mall to get some ice cream and a planner (which they call a diary here). Watched an episode of How I Met Your Mother again (its a really funny show if you haven't seen it!). The House had a BBQ for dinner, so I went to that, it was interesting. All kebabs, no burgers or hot dogs at this BBQ, and their BBQ sauce here is really tomato based and kinda thin. After dinner we had the interfloor trivia night, which was unlike any trivia night I had ever been to. The last round was ridiculous, you had to run around the house to find the answers to the questions, then use those answers to decode other parts. My team eventually gave up because it wasn't worth it. After that was over, a few of us watched a few more episodes of How I Met Your Mother (are you noticing a pattern yet?).

Sunday, a few of us went to the Taronga Zoo. We had a bit of an adventure trying to get there. We planned on taking a bus to Circular Quay, then the ferry to the zoo. What actually happened was that we got on the wrong bus, which took us across the Harbour Bridge (which we didn't realize until we were already on the bridge) to North Sydney. We got off at the first stop and found a store to go in and ask the cashier how to get to the zoo. Turns out there was a bus that ran straight to the zoo from where we were. We got to the zoo and it was amazing! The weather was beautiful, clear and sunny. We got to see all of the Australia animals, we ran out of time to see the African animals, but thats ok because those are at every zoo. It's a gorgeous zoo, I'll post pictures of facebook in a little bit. After the zoo, I got back and got changed into church clothes. After dinner I went to an Anglican church in Newtown, about a mile or so from the House. I went over there with a friend of mine from the House. The service was interesting, very different from what I'm used to though. I think I'll try their morning service next week.. After the service we stopped for ice cream on the way home. Then we came back to the House and I did some reading before bed.

Heres a picture form the zoo:
The Asian tourist who took the picture for us was quite amused that we were standing in the bushes...

No comments:

Post a Comment