Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Days 13-15

Monday was the first day of classes! I only had one class, my english class, from noon-1pm. It wasn't really anything special. I did realize that when telling a fellow international student that you are taking an english class, it has to be specified that you are taking a literature class as opposed to a language class. I got some funny looks saying I was taking an english class. Anyways, there are supposed to be 100 people in the class, but only 40 showed up. The professor is American, and pretty funny. The building wasn't terribly hard to find, although it was in the Physics Building, and I did get there half an hour early. I keep overestimating the time it takes to get to classes here. The campus is pretty big, but somehow it really doesn't take all that long to get there. After classes, we were planning on going down to the Royal Botanical Gardens by the opera house, but it was raining. We went shopping instead. Theres this huge mall that is mostly underground in the middle of the CBD. We were walking around and it just kept going and going, and then ended in a train station. We didn't know about the train station at first, and we were really confused as to why there were so many people power walking through the mall. Then we saw signs for the train station and realized it was about 5pm, everyone was on their way home from work. We made it home in time for dinner. Gathered up a group of people after dinner and watched 4 episodes of How I Met Your Mother, which one of my friends bought whilst shopping.

Tuesday, I had my three history classes. Australia's Social History at noon (which I have a friend from the wine trip in with me), US Imperialism at 2pm (which I made a friend trying to find the room, because it was crazy hard to find, and theres another girl from the wine trip in the class as well!), and Australia's Underworld at 3pm (its supposed to go until 5, but since it was the first lecture, she let us go at 4pm). I like all of my classes and professors. That night, a group of us planned on going to the local movie theater to see Inception, which was harder to do than you'd think. The movies were selling out way in advance, so about 6 of us took initiative and collected money from people who wanted tickets and we ran down there (quite literally, actually) to the theater and bought all 15 tickets. We were there an hour and a half before the movie. In hindsight, we could've just gone back to the house, its only about three blocks away, but we didn't. We went downstairs to the 24hr KMart and bought candy and water bottles for the movie.This then started a debate over candy and different names (American vs. Britsh/Aussie)- Milky Way bars here don't have caramel, so they're basically a three muskateers bar. Mars bars are the equivalent to an American Milky Way (nougat and caramel). Twix bars have a different font on their packaging that looks weird. They don't have Hershey's here, only Cadbury (which admittedly is amazing). And they have lots of other odd candy and chocolate varieties. Then we stood outside the theater, because the movie in our theater wasn't ending until 9:10pm, and ours started at 9:20. Eventually, everyone else showed up to the theaters and we all went in and managed to get seats together (in a 3 row block). The movie was absolutely amazing and mind blowing! I want to go see it again just so I can pick up on all the tings I missed when watching it last night, kinda like Shutter Island.

Today, I had english and social history again. Nothing too exciting once again. Its been raining all day long. Not fun. I've gone through 3 pairs of shoes today (flip flops, boat shoes and ballet flats) and they're all still soaked. Today has been incredibly uneventful. Went to a pizza party with 3 other girls in Newtown. The pizza was pretty bad, but they gave out free trips to random places. One of the girls I was with won a weekend trip to Fisher Island, which is pretty cool. Then we walked all the way home in the rain. They're showing some Australian comedy movie in the house in a bit, I'll probably go check that out.

Today, I'll leave you with an interesting display in the electronics/dvd/music store in the mall:
Yes, that is 90210 and Sabrina the Teenage Witch under a New Releases sign...

No comments:

Post a Comment