Friday, July 23, 2010

Days 7-9

Tuesday was full of more orientation sessions, including opening a bank account and getting the classes that they enrolled me in, based on the classes I put on my application. They enrolled me in almost all of the classes I put on the application as back up classes, none of the history classes I actually wanted. It wasn't a very interesting day at all really.

Wednesday, I had an orientation session for my internship, a sort or pre-interview interview. The two women who organize the study abroad internship program told me that they were putting me through to be interviewed for my first choice, its a project with the National Breast Cancer Foundation to help plan their annual event. I should have an interview for that sometime next week. When I got back to IH after the orientation, I falked through the foyer and a group of my friends were in there about to go to Chinatown and lunch. I joined them and we went to a yum cha restaurant (the kind where they walk around with all of the dishes and you pick what you want) which was really good. I also was using chopsticks, and I am quite terrible at using them. After lunch we walked to Darling Harbour and then through downtown and caught the bus back to IH. It was pretty fun, but pretty exhausting. In the evening, we went to a bar that held crab racing. They placed the hermit crabs in the middle of a circular table and the first ones to reach the outside won. There was also a hose involved, so we got pretty wet. It was so much fun though! After the crab racing, we went to a chocolate bar and got chocolate con churros, which was amazing!

Thursday, a group of us from the house took the bus to Coogee Beach and did a walk all the way to Bondi Beach (about 7km) over the cliffs. The beaches here are kinda weird for me because of the cliffs, the beaches seem so small. The longest beach we saw was Bondi and that wasn't even 1km. We passed 5 beaches on our walk. The downside was that it started raining on us partway through the walk. And even when it wasn't raining, it was overcast, cold and windy. The views were great though! When we got to Bondi, we got lunch at Hungry Jacks (which is Burger King here) and then took a bus to the train station, and then a train back to campus. When we got back, I went to the International Office to fix my schedule. I decided to only switch one class. I'm now register to take Australia's Social History, Australia's Underworld (a class on the infamous characters in Australia's history), Literature of Travel and Discovery (which I will drop if and when I get the internship) and the Culture and Politics of US Imperialism (which should be really interesting for me to be in the class, I might get spotlighted a bit in class).The I took a nap. That night, there was a party at Manning Bar (one of the bars on campus!) for all of the international students from 7-1am. We left the house around 9pm and went there and danced all night til they stopped the music at 1am. It was so much fun, although sometimes the music got a little odd. Thats only because they listen to a lot of House music here, like in Europe. When we went to the DJ and asked him for American hip hop, he started playing things from about 10 years ago, like "Country Grammar". Earlier in the night, the DJ played the Full House theme song which was incredibly odd. When they kicked us out at 1am, we went back to the house and just hung out til about 2am. Then sleep.

Heres a picture of me and Bondi Beach:

No comments:

Post a Comment