Monday, August 23, 2010

Days 34-41

My weekdays have gotten decidedly less fun then they were a few weeks ago. Ah well, I guess that's what happens when classes really kick into gear.

I had my first paper her in Sydney due on Wednesday in my Australian Social History class. It wasn't too terrible. 1500 words, I ended up writing 2100 words and then having to cut out a lot, which was harder than writing the paper itself. I managed to get it down to 1600 words though, and I cleared that with the professor.

Thursday night, a bunch of us got together for another spring break planning meeting. Figured out some more of the specifics and had to cut a few stops out of our trip. We are now flying from Sydney to Cairns, staying there a few days, then taking a greyhound bus back to sydney. On the trip back, we'll stop at Whitsundays for a few days, then Frasier Island for a few days, and then to Byron Bay for the last few days, then back to Sydney 11 days later. Seriously, go to google images and search for those places (Cairns, Whitsundays, Frasier Island, and Byron Bay) they are all stunning! I'm so excited!! After the meeting, there was a BBQ on the rooftop with a bunch of people, that was a good time as well.

Friday afternoon, we all got together (all 11 of us girls going on the trip. No boys are coming along) in the computer lab of IH and booked our flights to Cairns. We pretty much took over the computer lab, there were only 2 other people in there, we took up all of the other computers. Then, after lunch, 4 of us took a bus downtown and went to the Royal Botanical Gardens. It was such a pretty day! After dinner, we had some drinks at the house, a bunch of other people went out afterwards, but a few of us stayed back and just went to sleep.

Saturday afternoon, IH took about 60 of us out to the log cabin that the house owns in a state park about 2 hours away from Sydney. When we got there, we walked around a bit, and then had another BBQ (they really like BBQs here, but they only ever have sausages, and they don't use hot dog buns, they use sliced bread) and then waited a bit for it to get dark outside so we could stargaze. Some astronomical society was there with their giant telescopes set up for us. They showed us where venus, mars, saturn (I could see it's rings!) and a really up close view of the moon (theres a crater about 180km long that looks just like a footprint on the moon! it was crazy looking) as well as some stars (a carbon star that was red, some other important stars that i dont remember the names of, and the jewelbox galaxy i think it was called- it had all different colored stars, very pretty). We also had a bunch of marshmallows, and their marshmallows here taste quite different, and they have pink raspberry flavored ones, which taste even weirder.

Sunday was pretty uneventful, I didn't do much all day. The I went to church after dinner.

Today I went to my internship again. I did some more event planning. Nothing too exciting. I did realize that I could never pursue a career which requires cubicle work though, it's pretty boring stuff.

A few of us at the rooftop BBQ Thursday night

No comments:

Post a Comment