Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Days 99-108

I meant to post earlier, but for some reason I kept getting distracted.

Anyways, last week was my last week of classes at Sydney Uni. It was a little bittersweet realising that, actually. Classes are still going on this week, but my classes were all cancelled. I love being an Arts student sometimes! Next week is StuVac (which is short for study vacation, no classes, just cramming for finals. Which Australians do a lot of. They don't attend lectures, and then during StuVac they listen to the recordings of all of the lectures online and study all week). After a week of StuVac, it'll be 2 weeks of final exams (Nov 8-Nov 19th). I only have 1 sit down final (Nov 10th), 1 take home final (Nov 11th-18th) and 1 final report (Nov 19th). Then I'll fly home on Nov 20th. I don't really want to leave. Yes, I miss everyone from home, but its so much fun here still! I haven't gotten to the boring bit of living somewhere new yet. I'm trying not to think about it.

On to what I did last week.

Wednesday night I went to another St. Paul's Party. St. Paul's is another residential college on the Sydney Uni campus, right down the street from IH. They have a fully licensed bar on property and host parties every wednesday night. I went to one earlier in the semester. This past week, it was themed as a Full Moon Party. Full Moon parties are common in Thailand and occur every full moon. Basically, everyone gets covered in Fluoro (neon) paint, and there are blacklights everywhere and you drink out of buckets. It was the most fun I've had in a while. After the party, we went to the park across the street and played on the playground and then to get some kebabs down the street.

Thursday we went to one of the on campus bars for Oktoberfest, but by the time we got there, not many people were still there. The party was kind of dead, so we went home and hung out. Then we went to the park across the street again. The middle of the night is the only time you can go to the park and actually play on the swings and the flying fox (aka the zipline) without small children everywhere.

Friday was my internship, which went as usual. I did find out about an event that was taking place on Monday, which I volunteered for (I need more hours..). It was the launch of Register4, this online database of people who are willing to possibly participate in breast cancer research. Anyone over the age of 18 can register, even international people (you can fill out online questionnaires, etc to help with some research). If you want to sign up: http://www.register4.org.au. So on monday I volunteered for that, I was there from 9am-3pm. Handing out pamphlets about it to people walking down the street. They they had a catered buffet back at the office for lunch.  and I went back to my internship again on Tuesday.

One last note: I went to the shopping mall this morning, and its already decorated for Christmas!!

The Full Moon Party at St. Paul's
Left to right: Tanco, Rachel, Mikaela, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment