Monday, October 18, 2010

Days 91-98

A few exciting things happened this week.

Tuesday, I went to water polo practice with the Sydney Uni club team. We just did swimming drills, and ball handling skills for the most part. No scrimmaging, which was odd. Thats the highlight of practice in NOLA. It still felt good to be back in the pool with a water polo ball. The girls were all very nice, and at the end of practice, the coach offered me the chance to play with them in a game on Sunday and offered me a ride to the pool where the game would be held (at the University of New South Wales, about a 20 minute drive from Sydney Uni).

Friday, I went to my internship, as usual. I got there and come to find out, Friday was some huge fundraising day for the foundation. So, instead of doing my normal task of sitting at the computer and typing up the same document in various forms, I helped out the rest of the office by counting money that way coming in, and sorting/counting merchandise that wasn't sold. The after lunch, the office mania calmed down and I went back to my computer for my normal tasks. I much preferred the counting and sorting, to be honest.

Saturday was the IH Charity night. We had a "slave auction" in which people in the house offered up various talents ranging from music lessons to picnic spreads and baking to tennis lessons. People then bid on those offerings. There was also a raffle and an extreme pie eating contest, where people could bet on the contestants. Well, I participated in the eating contest. It was really intense, with 3 different rounds. The first round was an entire apple pie in two and a half minutes without using your hands. The second round was three pieces of thick bread: 1 w/ mayo on it, 1 w/ chili sauce on it, and the last w/ vegemite. The third round was a large piece of especially dense chocolate cake without using your hands. I didn't make it past the first round. I ate the all of the filling in the pie, but didn't know we were supposed to eat the outer crust as well. Oh well, I'm pretty glad I didn't make it on to the next rounds. My friend, Claire, actually took 3rd place, behind 2 guys. Anyways, at the end of the night, we raised over $5500 dollars towards a children's hospital project in Sierra Leone and the Pakistani Flood relief. It was a lot of fun as well!

Sunday, I went to the water polo game, and was a little nervous because I hadn't played a game since March, and I'd barely swam much since then either. I also didn't know any of the girls on the team I was playing with. We ended up losing, but it was nice to be back in the pool playing again. After the game, I waited while Megan (the coach) coached the next team (sydney uni has 5 levels of water polo teams, basically. L1 is the best and play at a national collegiate level and L5 in the most inexperienced/ social level. I played with the L4 team, still pretty social, but slightly more experienced than L5) and then she brought me home. I got home at 6pm. Changed super quickly, and then went to a different church than usual with a girl from IH. The service was pretty similar. After the service, I ran into a friend and ended up going to a restaurant with a bunch of people from the service and hanging out. I didn't make it home til around 11pm, but it was fun, and I didn't really have anything to do anyways. After I got back, I watched a movie with a friend. Then went to bed.

Pie eating contest. I'm all the way at the end of the table. The guy at the beginning of the table is the person who won. 

No comments:

Post a Comment